HaverstrawLife.com will not endorse any candidate for the upcoming election season.
Jay Hood, Jr. is running as a Democrat for Rockland County Legislator of the County’s 3rd Legislative District, which encompasses the Village of Haverstraw. His opponent is Ricky Sanchez. Below, is Jay’s letter to HaverstrawLife readers and voters:
It has been an honor to be the County Legislator from District 3 for the past four years. I have worked hard to fight for issues that affect the Villages of Haverstraw and West Haverstraw. Like many government levels we are facing serious budget problems but I am committed to facing them this coming budget season. We will look for ways to further reduce spending while continuing the services that are needed more than ever.
I possess a temperament which allows me to work well with others in government, which my opponent sorely lacks.
I believe my record of supporting community events and organizations shows my love for this area and its people. I am always on call when anyone needs help, the people have learned to count on me.
I have also listed some my recent accomplishments and Biography information below to show my years of education and government experience which I believe sets me apart from the opposition.
- Reduced County spending and reduced County workforce by over 300 positions
- Lowest County Tax rate in New York State (not to be confused with other taxing jurisdictions)
- Passed a Comprehensive plan to aid Towns and Villages in Development issues
- Continue to push for Rail Road Quiet Zones- slated to start in 2012
- Public Safety Committee Chair- worked closely with the District Attorney and Law Enforcement agencies to reduce crime
- Fought for repairs to the Firing Range to reduce noise- slated to start this year
- Worked with the Village Board to Combat Quality of Life problems
- Support numerous Charities and organizations
- Supported the continuation of the Youth Employment program, prenatal clinic and the Civil Rights Commission
- County Legislator (2007-Pres)
- Haverstraw Town Councilman (2005-2007)
- Partner in Law Firm of Hood, Hood, & Hood
- New York State Democratic Committee Member
- Chairman- Waterfront Action Committee
- Haverstraw Village Attorney
- Coordinator Haverstraw Façade Program 1999-2005
- Chairman- Haverstraw Youth Theater 2006-2007
- Former Board member- Red Cross of Rockland County
St. Peter’s School- 1984
St. Joseph’s High School- 1988
St. Bonaventure University- 1992
Villanova School of Law- 1995