We may soon see an additional ferry operator at the Haverstraw Ferry Pier. NY Water Taxi has placed a bid to operate a ferry service from Haverstraw to Yonkers and then to Lower Manhattan. New York Waterway has also placed the same bid. The Port Authority will choose which bid will handle this new ferry service. If Water Taxi wins the bid, service will begin in July. Water Taxi’s bid includes:
• 150-passenger catamaran
• Heated, air-conditioned, carpeted, with concession stand and CNN
• Low-wake hulls to minimize ecosystem disturbance; hospital-grade mufflers for a quiet ride
• 45-minute trip to lower Manhattan
• Speed: 26 mph
• Service from Yonkers and Haverstraw
• Nonstop to World Financial Center and Wall Street but has dock at 44th Street if demand is there
The current Haverstraw to Ossining service, operated by NY Waterway, will remain in operation. With this new service to Yonkers and Lower Manhattan, Rockland County will finally have its elusive “one seat ride” for commuters to Manhattan. A spokesman from Water Taxi says the ferry commute will be similar to a 45 minute flight on a luxury jet. Exciting times lie ahead!
It has just been confirmed by New York Water Taxi that the Ferry from Yonkers to the World Financial Center and Pier 11 on Wall Street will begin service on the morning of May 1, 2007.